Okay, I know I’ve been on a massive Calendula kick lately, I cant help it! It’s just useful for so many things! Hopefully soon I will have the herbal spotlight on calendula published, and then I’ll move onto another herb. ❤
We went over some of the many benefits of Calendula in these posts:
The basic greatness list of what Calendula is good for treating:
- inflammations or infections in the mouth
- deep cuts
- damaged skin
- slow healing or infected wounds
- sensitive skin
- baby bum rashes
and so much more.
The idea of the poultice (alongside the other methods posted below) is to draw out an infection.
I have been using herbal poultices for most of my life. I’ve used them for my animals in the past as well. We used to make up herbal poultices for a patient’s skin issues when I was working in Home Caring. I find them highly effective.
Now that you know a bit about the benefits of making a poultice with calendula we can move onto the how. 🙂
To Make The Poultice:
- Crush a tbs or two of dried Calendula Flowers. (or you can use the strained flowers from the tea infusion / compress for this)
- Pour hot water over them but just enough to make a paste of sorts.
To Use The Poultice:
- Put the crushed flower paste either directly on the wound or you can put a layer of cheesecloth on the skin first.
- Cover the mixture with a bandage / cheesecloth or a towel
- Some people use plastic wrap to keep the warmth and moisture in, but I usually just put a few strips of medical tape on the edges of the towel or cheesecloth to hold it in place.
- Allow to sit for a few hours (if you can)
- Remove wrap and rinse with cool water.
- Allow to dry.
- Follow up with Calendula Salve (optional)
COMPRESS / Method:
To make a herbal compress with Calendula, see the post Calendula Tea for instructions. The tea compress can be used alongside this poultice and followed up with the Calendula Salve. I find it most effective to use all 3 methods together. I start out with a cool compress, allowing it to soak in for at least 20 minutes, put on the poultice and leave that on for a few hours, pat dry or allow to air dry and then apply the Calendula salve. You can also bandage over the salve if needed.
Happy Healing! ❤
I recommend Mountain Rose Herbs for all of your herbal healing needs! Harmonious Mind is also a great Canadian supplier of essential oils and other great things.
Images Edited using PicMonkey. Some of the links here are affiliate sites. & Please also see my disclaimer. Thanks Friends.