I’ll never buy dryer sheets again! This is such a better alternative! Chemical free dryer sheets for pennies!
As some of you already know, many dryer sheets contain cancer causing chemicals. This just isn’t good enough for my family + my son breaks out from the chemicals in laundry soap and dryer sheets. I wanted to find a safer alternative. Here’s what I came up with so far.
What You’ll Need:
- Vinegar (Natural Fabric softener, static guard & freshener)
- Tea Tree Oil (Naturally antibacterial)
- Favorite Essential Oils (Whatever you’d like your clothes to smell like)
- Airtight Storage Jar
- Wash Cloths or rags (Old towels or t-shirts cut into squares)
I tried things a little differently and uploaded a photo file with basic instructions. I’ll add them in a list as well:
- Cut an old towel, t-shirt, rags or cloth into squares
- Fill your desired container most of the way full with vinegar (I used about 1 cup)
- add in 5-10 drops of tea tree oil
- 10-20 drops of your favorite essential oil
- close the lid and shake the ingredients together
- add your cut cloths and shake some more
- Throw one or 2 in the dryer with your cloths.
- After the load is dry, toss your cloth back into the container and shake again to keep covered in mixture.
The vinegar smell may scare some of you off BUT I assure you, your clothes do not come out smelling of vinegar. Only the essential oils remain. I have my dryer’s heat on the lowest setting and they still smell wonderful.
I’ve read over and over with similar recipes that these don’t get rid of static cling but they do. Vinegar is a natural fabric softener + it keeps clothes fresh. I also pour some into the ‘bleach’ tray of my washer.
These may be a little ‘odd’ because you throw them in wet. I suppose you could hang dry them and toss them in dry but I don’t mind using them this way. I may try to come up with some other ideas soon. ^_^
HAPPY LAUNDERING! ❤