I see a lot of posts about soothing nipple butters for AFTER giving birth, but what about the itchy, painful rashy nipple problems that sometimes come up DURING pregnancy? Mine have been a pain this whole time. I’ve been using one of my calendula creams & it’s very helpful so I thought I would share the recipe here in case it could be of help to anyone else as well.
Natural Relief Cream:
- Calendula Infused Oil – Infusing your own oil.
- Coconut Oil
- Tea Tree Oil
- Beeswax (Vegan Alternative) (optional) I prefer to skip the beeswax in this mix so that I am able to keep it cool in the fridge but so that it isn’t a solid cream to soften, less pain on already tender nipples but the preference is your decision.
Usually I just eye out the measurements so I don’t have an exact amount of each BUT 2 parts coconut oil to 1 part of calendula oil with a few drops of tea tree (to help combat any bacteria and help heal) will do the trick.
You can add beeswax if you’d like to keep the cream more solid. Usually 1 part to 2 parts of the other oils works well.
Melt beeswax (if you’re using) in a pan or double boiler.
Remove from heat & add in coconut oil & calendula oil. (If you aren’t using beeswax, you can just melt your coconut oil and add in the other ingredients.) – less coconut oil = softer base.
Once cooled (But before it starts to harden) add a few drops of tea tree oil and mix well.
Pour into storage containers.
*Keep in the fridge for extra soothing relief*
To Use: Massage into nipples & breasts. Allow to soak in before dressing as the oils may stain clothes + the extra moisture could make things more itchy.
Some other things that have been helpful:
- Try to stay dry, try a natural powder under and in between breasts.
- Go braless when possible. When your breasts are colliding all day it adds to the itch, pain and possible rash. (Which can result in a yeast infection.)
- Things such as a damp cloth kept in the freezer have also been my friend during this time. The summer heat certainly doesn’t help at all. Just be sure when you are done, you dry yourself fully.
MRH’s offers a natural Calendula Nipple Whip in case you’d rather purchase than make. Calendula Nipple Whip is a must-have for every breastfeeding mama. Made with pure botanicals that moisturize and soften minor skin irritations, this whipped butter does not contain lanolin, essential oils, or fragrances, and all ingredients are food-grade and safe for babies and moms alike. There is no need to wash this product off prior to nursing. Calendula Nipple Whip can also be used to support overall epidermal wellness for the little ones.
I recommend Mountain Rose Herbs & Starwest Botanicals for all of your herbal healing needs! Harmonious Mind is also a great Canadian supplier of essential oils and other great things. You can purchase any extra supplies over at Amazon.ca.
Images Edited using PicMonkey. Some of the links here are affiliate sites, meaning if you make a purchase using my link, I earn a small commission! Thank You for supporting The Herbal Healing Mama. & Please also see my disclaimer. Thanks Friends.