Katrina’s No Bake Lactation Cookies!

Recipe generously shared with us from Katrina Spain.

These cookies are absolutely delicious! They help increase milk supply for the breastfeeding mama & are super easy to make! (No baking required!)

NOTE: Updated post link at the bottom of this post.

No bake lactation Cookies Recipe

Join the ‎Dairy Queens‏ group on Facebook for all sorts of amazing breastfeeding support!

A note from Katrina about these awesome cookies:

These no-bake cookies increased my supply SO MUCH! I was engorged! They can be dairy free if you use non dairy milk for those of you with allergies or preferences.

Recipe

1/2 cup of milk of choice (Regular, Coconut, Almond, Soy, Etc.)
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 cups sugar (Raw, cane would be the healthiest choice)
1/4 cup of raw cacao or cocoa powder
3 1/2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
Large pinch of salt

(Some people like to add in flax seeds brewer’s yeast or fenugreek for extra boosting properties.)

To Make:

1. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Bring the sugar, milk, coconut oil and cocoa to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, then let boil for 1 minute.
  3. Remove from the heat.
  4. Add the oats, peanut butter, vanilla and salt, and stir to combine.
  5. Spoon onto parchment and let cool at room temperature for 30mins
Lactation Cookies by Katrina

Katrina’s recipe one cookies

You can also spoon into a baking mold. I tried some in a silicone cupcake tray:

IMG_0641

After eating just a couple of these, I was able to pump 2oz more than usual! Thank you Katrina!

No Bake Lactation Cookies

My cookies with less oats, they need to stay in the freezer to stay firm. Updated on what I used here.

Mine certainly don’t look as good as hers, (I keep mine in the freezer.) but they are so yummy!

UPDATE:

Katrina added a revised version to her delicious recipe, I have yet to try it but most certainly plan on trying it soon!

New and improved *healthier* no-bake lactation cookies! Even more supply boosting than before

Recipe:

• 1/2 cup of milk of choice
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • 3/4 cup raw sugar
  • 1/4 heaping cup of raw cacao or cocoa powder
  • 3 1/2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
  • 1/2 heaping cup ground flax seeds
  • 1 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
  • Large pinch of salt
  • Optional: 3tbsp chia seeds

Directions:

1. -Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Bring the sugar, milk, coconut oil, and cacao to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, let boil for 1 minute.
  3. Remove from heat.
  4. Add peanut butter, vanilla and salt, stir to combine.
  5. Add flax and chia seeds, stir, then add oatmeal
  6. Spoon dollops of batter onto parchment and let them cool in the refrigerator for 30mins

Katrina’s second recipe batch

Update:

I had some questions and even complaints on the difference from my images, to Katrina’s images & how the cookies turned out. I didn’t have quite enough oats when I made mine so I had to throw them into the freezer for them to harden up. I’ve posted what I used for mine in the images in a revised version here. I’m sorry about any confusion.

If you have any breastfeeding related recipes you’d like to share with the blog, please let me know in the comments below or email me directly at theherbalhealingmama@outlook.com  ❤

Advertisements

40 thoughts on “Katrina’s No Bake Lactation Cookies!

1. Emma says:

Hi, before making these I have a question (which is probably been asked and in comments somewhere) but my boyfriend is wondering if it is safe for kids to eat also, if it doesn’t effect little girls in the same way it would effect me. I know it most likely doesn’t, but he wants to make sure her nipples won’t start producing milk after having some. Just so she doesn’t feel left out with not being too have any cookies.

• Briar-Rose says:

As long as the child has had peanut butter before & is okay with it then I can’t see it being a problem. 🙂 (I’m thinking as long as it’s the base recipe with all of the “regular” ingredients that children would already eat.) (oatmeal, milk, etc) These ingredients just help to boost our already supply, not create milk itself, so not to worry.

2. Katie Beth says:

These cookies were so yummy! Can’t beat the taste of chocolate and peanut butter together! I also love that they are no bake. Much quicker to make than my other lactation cookie recipe.

How many cookies does the recipe make? And is there a serving suggestion?

Liked by 1 person

3. Mama says:

I made them and I noticed a difference. I don’t pump yet but my baby is getting nice and full after eating and she wasn’t before. I used the revised recipe with flax and chia and they came out delicious and perfect. It’s like a treat to eat them, they are like candy 😋!

Liked by 1 person

• Briar-Rose says:

I prefer them without the cocoa powder myself, I’m not much of a chocolate fan. I don’t think it has anything to do with the lactation boosting, though I could be totally wrong. ^_^

4. Amber bridge says:

Lactation Cookies – Effective Lactation Cookies Recipe
    By Kelly Winder in Breastfeeding. Last updated on February 7, 2016
    Lactation Cookies – Effective Lactation Cookies Recipe
    Lactation Cookies
    BellyBelly’s lactation cookies recipe is deliciously suitable for both pregnant and breastfeeding mothers.

And oh boy, do they work!

“My boobs are spraying like a fire hose. I am waking up wet in the night in a way I haven’t since the early days. They are mental!!!” — Audax

“YES, they DO WORK! I’ve found them especially helpful for afternoons and evenings when bub is cluster feeding and I seem to be all out of liquid gold. Munch a couple of bikkies, have a big drink of water or milk (yum!) and you can feel your boobies expanding with fresh milk” — Glamourcide

IMPORTANT: If you’re having supply problems, please read our article about common milk supply issues. It discusses several common reasons why breastfeeding mothers have supply issues, and suggests how to fix them. Also, see our article, 5 Unreliable Signs That Your Baby Is Getting Enough Milk.

Most breastfeeding problems are preventable and fixable, and many are caused by incorrect latch or scheduled feeding. Only a small percentage are due to medical conditions – an example of this is hypoplasia (insufficient glandular breast tissue).

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (or La Leche League in the US) for support, or hire a lactation consultant (IBCLCs are best) to help diagnose what’s really going on. Most GPs are not trained in breastfeeding beyond a few hours of information, and can’t give the same level of advice and support that well trained breastfeeding workers can.

Lactation Cookies Recipe – Ingredients

Prep time: approx. 15 minutes
    Oven temp: preheat to 170C or 338F
    Makes approx. 14-16 cookies, using a dessert spoon per cookie (double the recipe for more)

When making these lactation cookies, please try to source organic, local ingredients wherever possible. They’re so much better for you. I’ve tried to use healthy alternatives where I can, however the lactation cookies need to be sweet enough to hide the very bitter taste of one of the most powerful ingredients.

If you’re already breastfeeding, try eating the dough as well as the cookies, as it seems to be even more effective at increasing supply.

Do not eat uncooked dough if you are pregnant. There is a risk of bacterial infection from eating raw egg.

1 cup self raising wholemeal flour (if you have plain flour, add 1/2 teaspoon baking powder)
    1/2 cup butter (for a healthier option, use organic, virgin coconut oil instead – it’s super good for you!)
    3/4 cup brown sugar (if you want to reduce sugar, you could try just 1/2 cup)
    2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
    1 egg
    2-3 tablespoons of water (depends on how moist you prefer the cookies to be)
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract (optional, for flavour)
    1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional, for flavour)
    1-2 tablespoons of brewers yeast – do not substitute with bakers yeast or any other yeast
    1/2 teaspoon salt – use himalayan salt if possible
    1 & 1/2 cups oats – organic, steel cut oats are best for you, but rolled oats are fine
    OPTIONAL: 1/2 cup of your favourite biscuit ingredients (see suggested list below)
    DO NOT leave out or substitute the brewers yeast when making lactation cookies. It’s one of the main ingredients that makes them work. Nutritional yeast and bakers yeast are different and will not work in the same way.

Lactation Cookies Recipe – Method

In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar, then add the egg and vanilla. Mix well.
    In a separate bowl, combine the flaxseed and water, let them sit for a few minutes before adding to mix.
    Add the dry ingredients (apart from the oats and your additional ingredients) and mix well again.
    Finally, stir in the oats and your additional ingredients.
    Make the biscuits (I use a dessert spoon as a rough size guide) and place them onto a lightly greased or lined baking tray. Flatten them a little with your fingers or a spatula – if you like a soft centre, don’t squash them down too much. If you like you can just make them into balls – I do this and I love the soft centre!
    Bake the lactation cookies for around 10-12 minutes, depending on how well cooked or crunchy you like your biscuits.

“I know they worked for me, because I squirted after eating them for a bit, and I hadn’t done that for months” — PumpkinZulu

Boosting Your Lactation Cookies For Better Results

Try the above lactation cookies recipe first, but if you don’t notice much of an increase in supply, add more brewers yeast.

If you like, add more flaxseed meal too, but don’t forget to increase the water when you add more dry ingredients. Add a tablespoon of water for each tablespoon of flaxseed meal. If the lactation cookies aren’t working or for supply issues in general, please get some reliable help from a qualified lactation consultant or breastfeeding support organisation.

Lactation Cookies – Ingredient and Variation Ideas

There are so many delicious ingredients you can add to your lactation cookies to flavour them up! You might like to add coconut, banana, grated apple, chic chips, sultanas, almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, chopped dried apricots, chopped prunes, dates… the list is endless.

Our members have made variations of the lactation cookies recipe by using these delicious combinations:

Coconut and banana
    Choc chip and cranberry
    Dried apricot and white chocolate
    Apple cinnamon: 1 teaspoon of cinnamon instead of vanilla, 1/2 cup chopped dried apple and 1/2 cup sultanas. BellyBelly member, Audax, also added 2 tablespoons of stewed apple and found the cookies turned out lovely and moist.
    For a healthier cookie, replace some or all of the butter with virgin coconut oil, which is SO good for your body (inside and out). Virgin coconut oil has a mountain of benefits, including anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. Choose an organic oil if you can. For more benefits of coconut oil, visit the Coconut Research Center website.
    For a healthier, more fibre rich flour, use 50% or 100% coconut flour (you might need to add an extra egg). If you only have regular white flour to make lactation cookies, it’s fine, but remember it’s the most unhealthy flour.

• Briar-Rose says:

I noticed a difference later the same day. I tried them back when I was pumping on top of breastfeeding :/ (I’d feed from one side and pump the other) & I was able to pump 2 extra ounces. 🙂

• Briar-Rose says:

I’d imagine any butter would be okay, coconut oil helps firm them up a bit so something with similar texture maybe? Someone commented about using sun butter. I haven’t tried the recipe with something else but I will, and if you find something that works, please let us know. 🙂

5. Lynsey says:

I was really upset I tried this recipe! It was a waste of my ingredients! ={ they came out very very different from the picture. Crumbled & fell apart in my hands, very dry!