With Summer fast approaching, the bugs are swarming in! Especially where we are, by the lake. I definitely love summer, but could do without all the bug bites. I love some of the unique ideas online such as Wellness Mama’s Solid Bug-Off Lotion Bars.
There are many different ways to make all natural bug repellent but I really like using some herbs rather than just oils alone. I feel that too much oil base would probably stain clothes, so I guess if you wanted to make an oil mix it would be best as just a skin lotion or even to make the lotion bars above. SO – I will make a list below of the herbs or oils that are effective at keeping bugs away and you can decide which of what you want to use. (You may already have lots of them in your kitchen)
- Whole Cloves or Clove Oil
- Peppermint or Peppermint Oil
- Eucalyptus or Eucalyptus Oil
- Citronella Oil
- Lavender or Lavender Oil
- Witch Hazel (I used the actual dried herb, but lots of people buy the liquid) Thayers has a really neat Lavender Witch Hazel
- Basil or Basil Oil
- Sage or Sage Oil
- Tea Tree Oil (Repels ticks)
- Cat Nip
- Lemon / Lime / Lemon Oil
Play around with different scents, or throw a little of everything in. (that’s what I did, using about 2 tsp of each herb, and decided to use Peppermint, Tea Tree and Citronella oil)
Once you decide which herbs you are going to use, follow the directions below.
- Combine all of your herbal ingredients (excluding the essential oils until later) into a pan (or preferably a crock pot) full of water and let simmer for a few hours. Stirring occasionally.
- This will reduce in volume. Let it simmer until you have a nice dark base.
- Once you have the consistency you like, remove from heat and allow to cool for a few hours. (check on temperature)
- Strain out the herbs using a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth, keeping the liquid. ( I put a funnel in the top of a mason jar and rested a strainer lined in cheesecloth on the top of the funnel, using a ladle to scoop the mixture into the jar. )
- Add in your Peppermint, Tea Tree, Citronella and any other oils you will be using from the list.
- Stir together well, and now you can either use the mixture alone to add to spray bottles or you can dilute into spray bottles with some water. (test the consistency for any skin irritations)
There you have it, All Natural Bug Repellent Spray!
Feel free to print out and use the labels I designed using PicMonkey. (for your own personal use, not for commercial use please)
*Shake well before use & avoid contact with eyes and mouth. I sprayed this all over before taking a walk to the beach this evening and not one single bug stopped to “say hello”. 😉
I recommend Mountain Rose Herbs for all of your herbal healing needs! You can purchase all ingredients needed to make this recipe through them.
They also offer an all natural Bug Out Repellent from Way Out Wax. It’s Hemp Citronella. (if you don’t feel like making your own.)
What all natural methods do you use to repel bugs?
Please also see my disclaimer. Thanks Friends.