Coffee, Calendula, Oatmeal! This simple little scrub is nourishing for our skin!
We talked a bit about the benefits of coffee for our skin over in the post: Exfoliating Coffee Cubes – For Stretch Marks & Cellulite. You can also check out our post: DIY Solid Exfoliating Bars.
The caffeine in coffee helps to stimulate blood circulation to the affected area so the healing process can begin. Honey is also known for helping to reduce stretch marks and cellulite by removing toxins from the affected areas. Calendula & Coconut oil are amazing at healing nearly anything & they work as intense moisturizers as well.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
There’s no perfect recipe here, with most scrubs, you can play around until you find a consistency you like.
- 1/2 cup Coffee Grounds. ( I used the grounds after making a pot of coffee so they were nice and damp – ONLY do this if you’re making a one time batch. Don’t use wet grounds if you plan to keep this or gift this. Once water is introduced, bacteria can set in. )
- 1 1/2 Organic Cane Sugar ( may need a little more)
- 1/4 cup Organic Ground Oatmeal (optional)
- 2-3 tbs Coconut Oil
- 1 tbs Calendula Infused oil (Infusing your own oils)
- 1-2 tbs Organic Honey (Raw) (optional) a Vegan alternative is Agave Nectar.
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract. (optional, it just smells amazing!)
- 2 drops Peppermint oil for scent (or your favorite scent. You can find a huge list of amazing essential oils at Mountain Rose Herbs or Starwest Botanicals. )
Soften coconut oil.
Put all of your ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir until everything is combined evenly. You can start with the coffee grounds and oatmeal, then adding the wet ingredients & putting in the sugar and mixing until it’s a consistency you like.
Once everything is combined, you can either use right away or if you’re planning to gift or keep for later, scoop & store into an airtight container & keep somewhere cool and dry. (the fridge keeps this fresher, longer)
As with all natural products, especially those with water introduced, never keep long. Either make this for individual use or keep for a week or so and then discard. (Unless you use dry grounds, then it should be okay a while longer.)
Bring a scoop into the bath or shower with you, so you’re using something dry to collect some. Put a chunk in your palm and rub together to break apart a bit. (use on wet skin) A bit of warm water helps to massage into stretch marks and cellulite more gently. (Don’t rub too hard and irritate the skin) Rub in circular motions, moving toward the heart.
You can leave this on your skin for a few minutes before you rinse off to soak in as much of the nourishing benefits as you can. I leave mine on for about 10 minutes if I have the time.
You will have bits of oatmeal and coffee floating around with you + the oils so just be careful as it could make the tub slippery.
These may be best to use in the morning or daytime for those of you that are sensitive to caffeine.
Happy Exfoliating! ~ <3
This also make a fabulous face scrub & goes along perfectly with our Coffee Tired Eyes Cream.