These toilet fizzies add a fun spin on having to clean the toilet. They have antibacterial oils in them to help disinfect, while the ‘bath bomb’ ingredients fizz around the bowl helping to combat grime.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 1/4 cup Citric Acid (you can add more to get more fizzing action)
- 1/2 cup Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Corn Starch (CAN | US)
- 1/4 cup Dr. Bronner’s Natural Castile Soap (CAN | US)
- 10-30 drops Tea Tree Oil and/or Lemon Oil. (Tea Tree Oil has antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-fungal properties and Lemon is also antiseptic, anti-fungal, and antiviral. Both of these oils work well to disinfect.) (Canadian Oils: Tea Tree | Lemon More Suppliers listed at the bottom.)
- Measure out your dry ingredients and put them in your mixing bowl.
- Measure Dr. Bronner’s soap and stir essential oils into it.
- Slowly pour soap / essential oil mix into your dry ingredients. Stirring to combine. (Mix carefully to not kick up the powder as it can become an airborne allergen.)
- Once you have the consistency of wet sand that will hold it’s shape when you push your spoon down onto it you can start putting it into your molds. (start right away because if you leave it sitting it will start to harden)
- Push your mix firmly into your molds. Not so tight that you won’t get a fizz but tight enough that they will stick together without cracking. I used a silicone fishy mold. (US | CAN) Most of the tails broke off so I suggest using something with more of a consistent shape. A muffin tray would even work.
- Leave your mix in the molds for 24 hours before you remove them.
- Carefully twist the silicone mold or pull it apart from your mix then turn it upside down and tap the back. They should pop right out.
Once your bombs are dried, transfer them to a sealed jar to store.
Throw one in the toilet, wait for it to finish fizzing, or leave it to sit for a few minutes to do its magic, then use your toilet brush to complete the clean.