While I feel we should completely embrace our ‘Warrior Mama Marks’, it’s perfectly natural to want to smooth them out. This remedy will help do just that.
The caffeine in coffee helps to stimulate blood circulation to the affected area so the healing process can begin. Honey is also known for helping to reduce stretchmarks and cellulite by removing toxins from the affected areas. (Vegan alternatives included) As we already know Coconut oil is a wonder substance that is amazing at healing anything & everything! (You can read my top 50+ favorite uses for Coconut Oil here) Aloe Vera is well known for many similar healing purposes, as well as the other oils used in this recipe. (You can look up their full descriptions, or make a purchase on Mountain Rose Herbs from clicking each ingredient.)
You could also make this recipe on it’s own as a regular scrub, I just think the cubes are a more practical (& fun) way to use a scrub. These will also keep longer than a traditional scrub as we keep them in the freezer! <3
What You’ll Need:
- 4 (or so) generous tbs Coffee grounds. (I find it’s best to use the ones in your brewer after you brew a pot)
- 1tsb Shea Butter or Cocoa Butter
- 1tbs Sweet Almond / Jojoba or Calendula Oil
- 5 tbs Coconut Oil
- 1-2 tbs Sugar (I just used white sugar)
- 5 drops Lavender Oil (optional)
- 1 drop of Peppermint oil (optional)
- 1tsp of Chamomile (optional)
- 1 tsp Aloe Vera (This was exciting for me, as I got to harvest some from my own plant for the first time.)
- 1 tbs Organic Honey (Raw) (optional) a Vegan alternative is Agave Nectar.
- 1 tsp Beeswax or 1/2 tsp Carnauba Wax – (Carnauba is a vegan alternative to Beeswax, it is extracted from the leaves of Brazilian palm trees BUT no trees are cut down in order to collect. You can read more about it from the link) Used here as a thickening agent for more of a lotion bar feel to the scrub.- (*Optional – If you do leave out, maybe add a wee bit more coconut oil)
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract. (optional, it just smells amazing!)
- silicone ice cube tray or mold (I used these cute Heart ones)
- Storage Jar (Mason Jar, a cleaned out old candle jar, etc)
- Double Boiler, Melting Pot, (Pot on stove set to low also works, even a slow cooker)
- Stir sticks, spoons.
Alternatively these can be made with just equal parts Coconut Oil & Coffee grounds for those of you that prefer simpler recipes. I just like to add in some extra nourishing benefits.
- Melt your Beeswax (or Carnauba Wax) first. Stirring often. *NOTE* Carnauba Wax requires a temperature of 180-185 degrees in order to melt. Carnauba Wax takes longer to melt than beeswax.
- mix in and melt Shea Butter (or Cocoa Butter)
- Add in and mix all other ingredients (except for essential oils)
- Once everything is completely mixed, remove from heat and add in essential oils if you’re using them.
** Be sure that all ingredients are mostly level, meaning there isn’t a thick layer of oils on the top of the mixture or else you’ll end up with coffee chunks on the top and cream on the bottom. The Coffee & herbs will settle on the bottom, thus creating ugly and inconsistent cubes. I learned this the hard way on my first try, as you can see from my original image:
Not so pretty Right?! :/
I actually ended up remaking these 3 times before I found a good mix. (If yours don’t turn out the first time, you can just melt the mixture back down and try again.)
Sooo, if you have oils settling on the top of your mixture just add in more coffee grounds until it’s a uniform consistency so you don’t end up with cubes like those. 😉
- Scoop with a spoon or poor into your molds.
- Cute Heart Molds – From my Mama.
(You may want to rub some Extra Virgin Olive Oil around the molds for easy release)
- Pop into freezer until they solidify. (I left mine in overnight)
- once they have hardened you can put them in your storage jar (or Ziploc baggy) & keep them in the freezer. (so they don’t melt & they stay fresh for longer)
Take a cube with you when you’re having a shower and use as an exfoliating massage / lotion bar. A bit of warm water helps to massage into stretch marks and cellulite more gently. Rub in circular motions, moving toward the heart.
Leave on your skin for a few minutes before you rinse off to soak in as much of the nourishing benefits as you can. I leave mine on for about 10 minutes if I have time.
You may want to put a drain screen in so you don’t risk clogging your drain.
These may be best to use in the morning or daytime for those of you that are sensitive to caffeine. 😉
These also make a fabulous face scrub! They go along perfectly with our Coffee Tired Eyes Cream.
HAPPY EXFOLIATING! <3
I recommend Mountain Rose Herbs for all of your herbal healing needs!
Images Edited using PicMonkey. Some of the links here are affiliate sites. It would also help me out a lot if you purchased your supplies through these links. 😉 & Please also see my disclaimer. Thanks Friends.