If you have kids, you know they love to play with play dough. There are so many fun toys and gadgets for play dough. Before we moved from Texas to Michigan, an old neighbor gave Landon a ton of play dough supplies! Santa also brought him a play dough truck for x-mas one year. Kids just really enjoy playing with it. It’s even fun for adults, too!
Thinking of a fun party for the kids? How about a playdough party? You could set up a playdough table with all kinds of gadgets for them to play with. Sounds like a fun party! I’m giving myself some ideas. You could even make little goodie bags with playdough for the kids to take home. The kids would have so much fun!
Need something to do with the kids this weekend? Make some playdough and it will keep them busy for a while.
The ingredients needed are, flour, salt, cream of tarter, cooking oil and hot water. You mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and just keep mixing until a dough forms. The mixture will start off sticky and thick. You’ll wonder if you did something wrong. Just keep mixing and once it’s cooled down enough, use your hands to form into a dough. Once a dough is formed, you’ll have to knead it. Use a little flour and knead until it’s no longer sticky. Once the mixture is fully cooled it will form into playdough. It turns into a really nice dough and is so much fun to play with!
Large Batch of Playdough
- 4 cups hot water
- 5 cups flour
- 2 cups salt
- 2 Tablespoons cream of tarter
- 6 Tablespoons cooking oil
- food coloring
- disposable gloves to protect hands from food coloring *optional
- You’ll need a large bowl to mix the playdough in. Heat up the water in microwave for 5 minutes. (Be careful removing the bowl, it’ll be hot)
- Add the remaining ingredients into the hot water and mix. If you’re going to make the playdough all one color, add the preferred color and keep mixing. If making several different colors, you can knead them into the dough once it’s formed.
- The mixture will start off sticky, heavy and gooey. Just keep mixing and let it cool a little and keep mixing. Once the dough has cooled down enough to touch, use your hands to form into a dough ball. Once a dough ball is made, you can start kneading. You may need to dust with flour and knead until it’s no longer sticky. It will become a smooth non-sticky playdough. If making several different colors, move on to the next step.
- Divide the dough into the amount of different colors you want. For example: If your making 4 different colors, divide the dough into 4 equal portions (place in seperate bowls). You can use your disposable gloves in this step. Start off with one color and add desired amount of food coloring (I used food coloring paste). Knead the food coloring into dough until fully combined and no streaks of food coloring remain. Repeat process with remaining colors.
- Store in plastic baggies or air-tight containers.