The Caffeine in Coffee is known to reduce puffy eyes and under eye dark circles. This recipe also calls for Coconut oil, and calendula which will reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Calendula is so amazing at healing old skin issues, scars, wrinkles, acne, dark spots. The list is endless. We use it for everything in our house. Especially for our faces, so I thought it was the perfect thing to add to this eye serum!
You can infuse your own coffee oil to make this salve. I’ve got some info on infusing your own oils HERE. I used fresh ground coffee to make my oil. It’s best to use Organic Fair Trade Coffee if possible.
Update: I had previously written that you can first brew the coffee, however I should have specified that it is not recommended to use wet grounds to make your oil because any moisture can lead to mold & bacteria growth. If you do used previously brewed grinds, please be sure to first dry them out. You can do this from spreading them out flat on some paper towels on a baking tray. I would recommend using freshly ground, un-brewed as this will be the strongest mix giving fastest results.
What You’ll Need
- Coffee Infused Oil – (Infusing your own oils)
- Beeswax (Vegan Alternative)
- Coconut Oil
- Infused Calendula Oil (Optional BUT very beneficial) – Infusing your own oils. You can purchase pre-infused oil here or here.
(I used 1/3 cup of each)
- 1tsp of Shea Butter or Jojoba Oil (Optional)
- 1tsp Vitamin E Oil (Optional)
- Double Boiler or Melting Pot (some people like to use a crock pot set aside just for home made projects. I personally prefer to use a pot on the stove. I have a couple different sizes kept aside just for this purpose)
- Storage Container with an airtight lid
You could also use a few drops of your favorite essential oil to scent. I put one drop of peppermint in mine and it smells much nicer than just the coffee alone. Vanilla or something light and gentle would also be really nice. *Be sure to not add more than a drop as you don’t want anything too strong too close to your eyes. If you can handle the heavy coffee smell, I’d recommend leaving it plain.
It’s helpful to have everything pre-measured & ready to go before you begin.
On Medium Heat:
- Start by melting Beeswax in your melting pot or double boiler first, depending on the density and whether or not it’s shaved or chunks will depend how long this will take. Try to resist the urge to turn the oven up. You don’t want this to boil.
- Next, remove from heat and immediately stir in Vitamin E, Coconut Oil, Coffee Oil & lastly Shea butter (while the mix is still hot).
- Stir well, and pour into your storage container of choice. Here are some cute options.
- Allow to cool or pop into the fridge to speed the process & enjoy! (I find it’s most refreshing when kept in the refrigerator. It will also keep longer kept in the fridge. )
Happy Healing ~
If you’re using these as gifts, (or for yourself) feel free to print out and use one of the labels below. You can also check out the post on creating labels to make your own.
This is the Herbal Healing Mama’s most popular post! THANK YOU! It’s been viewed 29,886 times as of October 9th 2015! WOW! I figured it was due for an update. I should probably work on taking some better photos as well. ^_^
I had these up for purchase on Etsy but I’m taking a bit of a parental leave at the moment. I will let you all know if and when I relaunch. In the meantime, you can still support The Herbal Healing Mama by purchasing through any links or visiting the shops under the affiliates tab! When you make a purchase, I earn a small commission. Thank you!
Let me know if you’ve made a similar cream, or if you try this one. Did you add in different essential oils to scent? How do you like it?I recommend Mountain Rose Herbs & Starwest Botanicals for all of your herbal healing needs! For my Canadian Friends, you can purchase your oils at Harmonious Mind. You can purchase any extra supplies over at Amazon.ca. Images Edited using PicMonkey. Some of the links here are affiliate sites, meaning if you make a purchase using my link, I earn a small commission! Thank You for supporting The Herbal Healing Mama. & Please also see my disclaimer. Thanks Friends.