I’ve been using this method on my face religiously & I have to say it has solved so many issues I was having before. Before cleansing my face this way I was riddled with dry flaking skin, acne, redness, uneven skin tone, dull skin, – BLAH. Now – my face is looking much more clear, clean and radiant. I am so happy I started doing this.
I use oils on my face for many different things. (I’m currently working on a post on my facial care regiment)
This method is so simple & very effective. Basically, the idea is to NOT strip your face of it’s natural oils. Foaming cleansers and soaps often do more damage than good. This method is naturally moisturizing, combats skin issues, evens out scars and wrinkles, and keeps your natural oil production flowing properly.
My favorite oil to use is calendula infused coconut oil. (Infusing your own oils) Sometimes I use our Calendula Healing Salve all over my face, neck and chest, and sometimes I use the Calendula Acne Blend. (The plain Calendula salve works wonderfully for an all over facial moisturizer)
Here is a list of choosing the right carrier oil for your skin type. Coconut oil is usually a safe bet when in doubt.
You can also add in a few drops of other essential oils to help with other skin issues. If your skin is very acne prone, adding in a few drops of Lavender & Tea Tree oil could be very beneficial and speed up the healing process. (they also help with oily skin) (The Calendula Acne Blend has both of these oils in it)
Once you’ve chosen your desired oils that will benefit your skin type:
- Generously slather the oil on your face, let it sit for a few minutes.
- Soak a gentle facecloth in warm water. (I like it a little steamy but please be careful not to burn your beautiful face)
- lay the warm cloth over your face to help allow your pores to pull in the nourishing benefits.
- Gently wipe the rest of the oil off
- I like to finish off by splashing my face with cool water to then close my pores and seal in the goodness.
There is no need to pre-soak your face, this will do all the cleaning you need. It will also remove makeup with no effort whatsoever.
* Remember, if you are just starting out on your green journey, your skin needs a chance to detox first, so this may take a few days or weeks (depending how many different products you usually use on your face) for your skin to get used to your new rhythm but believe me, it will be so worth it in the end.
If you don’t want to make this yourself, you can purchase a beautiful Oil Cleansing Serum from our friend Deb over at Sunny Bungalow HERE.
What Sunny Bungalow says about the Oil Cleanse Serum:
Skin – all of it – secretes oil. Even if your face feels dry, it still has oil on it.
With this alternative cleansing method, you wipe away all the icky dirty oil from your face and replenishing it with clean, nourishing oil. According to chemistry and the principals of solubility, “like” dissolves “like.”
There are no harsh chemicals involved, No suds. Nothing to strip your skin of its oil. This is preferable because, when your strip your skin of its sebum, it goes into overdrive, trying to create more, which leads to clogged pores, blackheads, whiteheads, and irritation.
The instructions for use are simple: All it takes is one dropper full of this nourishing oil rubbed into your face, then wiped off with a warm facecloth every day. This method cleanses away dirt and makeup, and rejuvenates your skin.
– It whisks away makeup in a flash.
– It doesn’t strip the skin of its natural oils
– No chemicals, harsh additives, detergents or preservatives
– It may take a week or two for your skin to adjust to this new regimen
Google “oil cleanse method” for many websites that go into further details on the benefits for this alternative cleansing method.
Ingredients: Castor oil, Apricot oil, Rosehip seed oil, Pomegranate oil. Essential oils of: Grapefruit, Ylang Ylang, Carrot seed, and Geranium.
1 oz should last roughly one month.
HAPPY CLEANSING! <3
Do you use an oil cleansing method? How does it work for you? I’d love for you to share with us in the comments below!